Meringues are really very easy to make. You just need to be aware of a few facts before starting. No big deal, because everything in life is easier when you know a few facts ahead of time.
- Room temperature eggs are easier to separate and will whip faster than cold eggs. If you don’t have time to let them set – or if like me, you forget to set them out – you can set them in a bowl of warm water to speed up the process.
- Separate eggs very carefully one at a time over small bowl. When separation is successful, place yolks in one bowl to set aside for another use. Put egg whites one at a time into larger bowl for whipping. If there is the slightest bit of yolk in a separated white, do not add it to the larger bowl. THROW IT OUT. Or better yet, put it aside for another use. Even the slightest trace of yolk will keep the whole batch from forming peaks.
- Soft peaks mean that you can see the tracks of the beater in the beaten egg whites. Egg whites are no longer yellowish and foamy but turn white and more on the fluffy side. If you lift the beater and it makes a little lift that “droops” you have a soft peak. A stiff peak will stand in sharp points when the beater is lifted. Another way to determine stiff peak is to draw the flat of a knife or the handle of a wooden spoon through the beaten egg whites. If they stay separated, stiff peaks. If they run back together, keep beating.
- Add sugar slowly, but continuously. It helps the sugar to dissolve for crispy meringues. You can also run the sugar through the food processor to make smaller granules to help it dissolve more thoroughly. It will seem like you are taking forever to get all the sugar in, but the time also counts toward making stiff peaks. Oh yeah, mind games will get you through
- Slip cookies into oven preheated to 225 degrees, bake thirty minutes, turn off oven and go to bed. Do not open oven door from the time you put the cookies in until you get up the next morning. If you must do something, you can check by turning oven light on and peering through the door about 20-25 minutes into baking time to see if meringues are turning brown. If they are, turn the oven off.
H A P P Y H A U N T I N G
Need more Halloween ideas? Check these links: Preschool Party Snacks and Games How to Make Pom Pom Spider How to Make a Halloween Wreath Elegant Halloween Fun Foods for Kids Halloween Party Grasshopper Guts Smashed Frogs Zombie Brains Candy Corn Fudge
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing!
Subscribe by email on the sidebar or follow on Facebook, RSS feed, bloglovin’ twitter and check out my pinterest boards. If you found this helpful or inspiring please share below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Linking up to these awesome parties here and, ,Nifty Thrifty Sunday / Share Your Creativity / Sunday Showcase / Let’s Get Social / Bewitch Me and Titi / Monday Funday / Sunday Pinterest / . . . / Inspiration Monday / Motivate Me Block Party / / Marvelous Mondays / CraftoManiac Monday / Sew Darn Crafty / Metamorphosis Monday / Sweet Sharing Monday / Melt in Your Mouth Monday / More The Merrier /Made By You Monday / Pincentive / Time to Sparkle / Give Me the Goods / The DIY’ers / Manic Monday / Tuesday at Our Home / . .Twirl and Take a Bow Tuesdays Treasures / Show Me What Ya Got / Create Link Inspire / Tutorials and Tips / You’re Gonna Love It / Mommy club Linky / / Titus 2 Tuesday / Totally Tasty Tuesday / Tuesday Talent Show, / Wake Up Wednesday / Wow Me Wednesday/ . . . Hit Me with Your Best Shot / Homework Wednesday / The Inspiration Exchange / / / / Wow Me Wednesday /Wine’d Down Wednesday /Wednesday Project Stash / Wonderful Wednesdays / It’s A Party DIY / / Wildly Original /Project Pin It / . . . Full Plate Thursday / Showcase Your Talent / Krafty Inspiriation / / Throwback Thursday / Crafty Blog Stalker/ Fantastic Thursday / Tasty Thursday / / Catch a Glimpse , Grace at Home, Kitchen Fun, Thrifty Thursday. . Feathered Nest Friday / I’m Lovin’ It / Flaunt It Friday / What’s Shakin / Link Party Palooza / Foodie Friday / Anything Goes./ Freedom Friday / Remodelaholic Anonymous / Simple and Sweet Fridays / Craft Frenzy Friday / Be Inspired Friday / Friday Link Party / Best of the Weekend / Weekend Winddown / . . . . /A Bouquet of Talent / Party Junk / Saturday Dishes / Saturday Show and Tell / Strut Your Stuff Saturday / Favorite Things Saturday / Serenity Saturday, / Pin It Saturday / Saturday Spotlight / Saturday Showilicious / Show Stopper Saturday / Saturday Night Fever /