I zipped through a food and restaurant supply store, a place not on my usual circuit. A tractor beam locked on my cart and drew me right to the sample station. Straight from the entry to the table, the pull was irresistible and the smell was tantalizing! Or maybe it was because the station was right by the produce I wanted and it was past lunchtime! The sample lady handed me a tiny plate with a bit of white pizza. It was heaven!
Pizza is not on our radar. If presented with pizza somewhere, we will eat and enjoy. But to intentionally order, make, or buy a pizza – attention goes elsewhere. Bytes was allergic to tomatoes for a long time, but now he will take a frozen pizza every few months, throw it in the microwave, roll and inhale it like a burrito. Not sure that counts, but that’s the extent of pizza consumption in our house. People are shocked to hear that. Heretical, I know.
But this was different. So I asked and she was happy to share the recipe. So simple! I didn’t get the ingredients that day, since I was on a different mission, but next grocery trip, they found their way into my cart. Sample lady used a toaster oven so I did too, but this would also adapt well to the oven if you are serving more than a few people. The toaster oven makes this recipe quick and easy, perfect for snacks, summer lunches or appetizers. I made it for lunch with a generous salad to accompany and the guys were as impressed as I was! It has a distinctive flavor, so a smaller serving size is satisfying.
I posted this in the first month of A Pinch of Joy. Since then we’ve tried a few variations that we like and I wanted to share it. Plus a better photo! The original used bacon. I’ve discovered real bacon, cooked, crumbled and packaged works well. Costco has Kirkland brand 100% real bacon that is crumbled in large pieces, homestyle. I used a heaping Tablespoon full per slice of bacon called for in a recipe. We discovered that we like diced ham as a topping too. And chopped spinach. So the recipe has been updated as well. Enjoy!
- Indian flat bread
- OR prebaked pizza crust
- ⅓ cup Alfredo sauce, plain, from the jar or your favorite recipe
- Bacon, 4-5 slices cooked crisp and crumbled
- ½ to ¾ cup of diced ham
- ½ to ¾ cup spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ to ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place crust on baking pan
- Spread with layer of Alfredo sauce, not quite to edge, covering evenly.
- Sprinkle your choice of topping across top.
- Coax shredded Parmesan into even layer on top. Add more if you like, but don’t overwhelm.
- If using flat bread, bake 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees, until warm through and cheese melts. If using pizza crust, bake according to directions on package or until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
- Cut into serving pieces, about 2 inches square for appetizers or 4 inches square for lunch.
Don’t miss a thing — subscribe by email or RSS feed, follow on facebook or twitter to catch the latest post!
Share with others by giving this post a Stumble, Tweet, Pin, or Facebook Like. Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!