A Mad Men era scene pops up in my mind when I look at this appetizer recipe for Pineapple Bacon Bites. I picture the high heeled, full skirted, perfectly coiffed hostess fingering her pearls as she waits for the appertizers to finish. I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe because the recipe has been around for a long time??? Which makes it either a classic, a habit or outstandingly good. Quick, easy and loved by one and all – definitely outstanding, clearly a classic in its simplicity and a sweet, salty taste that is close to habit forming!
I sometimes put the toothpicks in water to soak as I start prep for this. But sometimes I forget and haven’t had a burned pick yet. You can also precook the bacon slightly in the microwave on high for 2-3 minutes – not enough to brown, but long enough to get some of the bacon grease out. Helps if you are cooking somewhere without a rack to hold the appetizers above the grease that collects in the bottom. For easy clean up, line the drip catching bottom pan with foil. Bacon should just wrap around and overlap just enough to insert the skewer. Most of the time, cutting the slice into thirds does just that. Sometimes you get a batch that needs a half slice so make that judgement call before cutting and ending up with too small pieces. Any brown sugar left – sprinkle it on the individual bites.
Be prepared to make a second batch. Or more. Pearls optional.
This recipe featured on The Lady Behind the Curtain.
- ½ lb of bacon
- 1 20 ounce can of chunk pineapple
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Cut bacon slices into thirds and press into brown sugar
- Place bacon on work surface, sugar side up.
- Put one chunk of pineapple on one end of bacon slice, and roll.
- Use toothpick to skewer through bacon ends and pineapple.
- Place rack (baking rack or broiler ) inside foil lined pan and set pineapple bacon wraps on rack.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until bacon is well browned.
- Cool until you can comfortably touch bacon before eating.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the sharing buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here