Thick cheesy soup, chunky potatoes, flavorful brats topped with a handful of cheese – very good! Bytes made this cheesy good potato and brats soup for supper on a cold, rainy evening recently. (It’s almost May, folks! And we’re still eating hot soup to warm the soul!)
If there are leftover brats in the refrigerator, or if you purchase precooked brats, you can skip the browning and just put the sliced brats into the slow cooker. The red pepper provides a bit of color, as well as flavor. You can substitute green peppers. Or Bytes used a yellow pepper for this bowl since that was what in the refrigerator. One carrot, shredded or sliced diagonally, could also be substituted for color, if peppers aren’t available. No extra salt is added since the brats and soup have enough to flavor the mix, but you can add pepper (and salt) to taste, if you want. Give everything a quick stir before covering the pot. Cooking time can vary somewhat according to the brand of the slow cooker so you might want to check to see if the potatoes are tender after about three hours the first time or two that you make this filling soup. Make a note – because you know you will want to make this soup again!
Bytes’ Bites – Quick and easy recipes for those who like to eat well, but not spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
- 5 or 6 brats, cut into ½ inch pieces and browned (about 1 and a quarter pounds)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (about two cups)
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese,shredded
- 1 10 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- ⅔ cup water
- Additional cheese for garnish, if desired.
- Place all ingredients into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for four hours or low for 6 hours until potatoes are fork tender.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here