A light bread with lively flavor, Spicy Pumpkin Bread is great anytime. Serve plain or with whipped butter to let the spices shine. Or dress it up with a glaze for a more festive appearance and let the sweetness of the glaze complement the spices. To glaze a single loaf, start with a quarter cup of powdered sugar and add water a teaspoon at a time, mixing well after each addition, until you reach the desired consistency. I use 2 teaspoons of water per quarter cup, but you might like yours a little thicker. Add a few chopped nuts on top of the glaze, if you wanna be fancy.
Adding nuts or raisins is optional. My favorite add in is English walnuts. That causes Bytes to mutter darkly. We can compromise on pecans without muttering so that’s the occasional choice. Other add ins might include dried cranberries or other fruit. I’m not crazy about chocolate with pumpkin, especially a spiced pumpkin flavor. But if that’s what floats your boat – go right ahead and add a cup (or more) of chocolate chips! Being the chief cook gives you lots of power!!
This post featured at Raegun Ramblings
- 4 eggs
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup nuts such as walnuts or pecans – optional
- 1 cup golden raisins - optional
- Beat together eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread batter in two 5x8 loaf pans
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let bread set in pan for 10 minutes on rack before removing to cool.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing!
Subscribe by email on the sidebar or follow on Facebook, RSS feed, bloglovin’ twitter and check out my pinterest boards. If you found this helpful or inspiring please share below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!