Chicken Taco Chili was a unanimous thumbs up the first time I made it. And every time since. Before I found this recipe I was definitely not a chili fan. Chili always seemed “heavy” and unappetizing. This one, with chicken and taco seasoning, is light and flavorful and full of good stuff. When Bytes and his big brother turned up their toddler noses at something, I’d wait a couple of weeks or so to bring back the objectionable food. When they protested at food they’d already rejected, I told them that they didn’t like it when they were little but now that they were “big” boys it their taste buds just might like it. Worked 99% of the time! Obviously, my taste buds have finally matured. You’ll like it too!!
Chicken Taco Chili is very simple to make ahead and freeze for later use. If you are using already frozen chicken, all ingredients go into a 2 gallon freezer bag. (If the chicken is not frozen, bag it separately from the rest of the ingredients.) Seal tightly and pop the chili makin’s into a another bag, also sealed, for leak security. Label well, including directions. (You could slip a printed copy of the recipe between the bags.) Set the frozen bag in the refrigerator the night before you want to serve and it will be thawed enough for you to pop in the crock pot before you leave the house in the morning. I fish out the chicken with a pair of tongs to put it in the bottom of the slow cooker and then dump everything else on top. Smells sooo good when you walk back into the house after work. Not to mention the absolute plus plus of having dinner ready to serve!
You can also assemble from scratch as you put it in the crockpot. I haven’t experimented, but I would think you could also make this recipe with a roast chicken from the deli and assemble the rest of the ingredients on the spot and still have it on the table fairly quickly — like about thirty minutes. If you try it, let me know!! Serve with sour cream and other chili toppings.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (1.5 – 2 pounds)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 15 ounce can black beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- Place thawed chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with cooking bag. Layer beans and corn over the chicken and pour the can of tomato sauce over the layers.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning, cumin and chili powder evenly over the tomato sauce. Top with two cans of tomatoes with green chiles and the small can of diced green chiles.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. About half an hour before serving, remove chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped fresh tomatoes or other favorite chili topping.
- Place all ingredients in 2 gallon sized zipper freezer bag. Double bag, if desired, to prevent leaking. To cook thaw in refrigerator 24-48 hours prior to cooking.
- Pour thawed mixture into prepared slow cooker and follow cooking directions as above.
Welcome to A Pinch of Joy! I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here