Chicken with mushrooms and bacon makes a tender, juicy and surprisingly flavorful chicken dinner. The chicken breasts are dredged in flour and browned in a skillet to keep them juicy on the inside. The mushrooms, and bacon are quickly sauted and added to the chicken in the crockpot where they simmer for only four hours. Put them in the crockpot at lunchtime and come home to a wonderfully aromatic dinner. Serve with brown rice, pasta or potatoes with vegetables on the side. Have fruit or ice cream for dessert. (Even better ice cream with fruit.)
Use chicken breasts that have been flattened or sliced to about an inch thick. They will cook more evenly than the chunky chicken breast. This slow cooker chicken recipe is a simple meal and takes less than 15 minutes and one skillet to prepare. Heat the oil in a skillet and brown the chicken breasts after dredging them in flour. When browned on both sides, place them in the crockpot. Then brown the bacon pieces and add them to the crockpot. If I am in a hurry, I push them to one side to crisp once they start to brown. Go ahead and saute the mushrooms lightly in the same pan before adding the chicken broth and bringing it to just the beginning of a boil. Pour the broth, mushrooms and bacon over the chicken breasts in the crockpot. Add the chicken broth, cover and set the crockpot to low and cook for four hours. The short cooking time keeps the chicken breasts tender.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Place flour in shallow dish and dredge each piece of chicken, shaking off excess flour.
- Brown chicken on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Place in crock pot when browned, making an even layer in the bottom of the pot first.
- Cut bacon slices in quarters and brown bacon in the same skillet. Add to crockpot when done.
- Add mushrooms to the bacon grease and cook until mushrooms start to soften.
- Add chicken broth and cook until the liquid starts to bubble. Stir frequently scooping up bits of flour, chicken and bacon in the liquid. When liquid starts to simmer, pour into crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
Please pin now for future reference!
Welcome to A Pinch of Joy! I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here
This sounds amazing!! I’m always looking for new ways to dress up chicken instead of the same boring ways I usually fix it.