Blueberries with a touch of maple, buttery topping with sliced almonds and a dollop of creamy Greek yogurt. Great way to start the day with a breakfast bowl. Or end a delicious meal with dessert. Use ice cream for the topping if you are feeling indulgent. Blueberries are a nutritional powerhouse no matter what time you eat them!
This crisp comes together quickly but you will have to allow around 40 minutes for baking. Enough time to prepare the rest of the meal — and check your text messages. You can use fresh or frozen berries. If you have a favorite cast iron skillet (10″ size) bake the crisp in it for a rustic flair. A 9×9 inch pan or 8×11 inch will also work. The maple honey combination keeps this dessert from being too sweet or overpowered by one flavor. Out of one? Substitute brown sugar for either maple or honey in the same amount.
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup almonds, sliced
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Place blueberries in a large bowl. Add maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice, rosemary, and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine topping ingredients in separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients well combined. Set aside.
- Pour blueberry mixture into a 10” cast iron skillet and spread into an even layer. Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
- Bake for 30 minutes. If top layer is golden brown at this point, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm.
Welcome to A Pinch of Joy! I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here