Oh my goodness squared! I saw this recipe on Something Swanky about a month ago and thought it sounded reallllly good. The photos alone are good enough to eat! I needed something to round out a plate of Best Easy Gift Fudge for a party and thought this would be a good contrast to the chocolate. But you know me —quick and easy – so that’s the direction I naturally took when I made this recipe. With a change and a tweak and in the microwave. And, of course, I have to share . . .
I’ve found this works best with Gharadelli chips, although Hershey’s and Nestle’s work well. For some reason the store brands don’t seem to melt evenly — but you might have different results. Use butter instead of margarine – as any moisture in the margarine will affect how the candy sets up. It will take at least two 90 second intervals at 50% power for the chips to lose their shape and begin to melt. Be sure to stir thoroughly at the end of each interval. An 8×8 pan slices into about 64 one inch squares – just about right for such sweet richness! Serve in candy wrappers as the caramel tends to be sticky. Yum!
Edited to add: I made another batch and tried crushed pretzels for the topping instead of nuts over part of the fudge. Ooooh, very good! Loved the crunch and the saltiness in contrast to the sweetness of the white chocolate and caramels. Wheels likes the pretzels better than the nuts! I used small pretzels and crushed/broke them into pieces about 1/4 inch. SnoWhite mentioned in the comments that they had a nut allergy at their house, so thought I would mention this in the post for anyone else who has that problem.
This recipe featured at Nifty Thrifty and Love, Life, Green.
- 3 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ package of caramels (about 30) plus 1 tablespoon of water
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup toffee bits
- Line 8x8 pan with waxed paper. This is a must. You might want to spray the pan with cooking spray before putting in the waxed paper. White chocolate sets up very firmly! You may have to work a spatula underneath one side to help it loosen.
- Melt caramels and water in microwave until caramels lose shape, about 60 seconds. Stir and set aside.
- Put Add white chocolate chips and butter in shallow microwavable bowl. Microwave for 90 seconds on 50% power and stir well.
- Add milk and stir again, then microwave for additional 90 second interval and stir well.
- If necessary, continue to microwave at 30 second intervals stirring well at the end of each 30 seconds. This may vary depending on your microwave. Stirring frequently prevents scorching.
- When chips are melted, pour into waxed paper lined pan and top with melted caramel. Swirl and scoop caramel through the white chocolate mixture.
- Top immediately with chopped pecans and toffee bits, pressing down slightly.
- Refrigerate for two to three hours until firm.
- Lift out using waxed paper “handles”, slice and lose yourself in goodness!
- Makes 64 one inch squares.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to get new posts by email, follow on facebook, twitter or by RSS. If you see something you like, use the Pin button on the top or one of those cute little share buttons down below!. I’d love to have you join and follow along!
Linking to some of the awesome parties here