Napoleons seem to be a Neopolitan invention as they originated in Naples, Italy. The French adopted the dessert, calling it “mille-feuille” or “ thousand leaves” for the many layers of pastry. As the dessert traveled from France the description of their place of origin, Neopolitan, became corrupted to the more familiar Napoleon associated with France, but there is no evidence that Emperor Napoleon had anything to do with these particular pastries. Napoleons traditionally have a confectioners sugar glaze on top (1 Tablespoon water to 1 cup of confectioners sugar) but I eliminated this to control the sweetness (and carb count). They are also typically larger in size and frequently have 3 to five layers of pastry. We prefer the little sweetheart size as portion control – but also because the easiest way to eat this crispy delicacy is to pick it up and carefully take a bite! If you choose the knife and fork method – still easier to eat the small ones.
Fresh strawberries are required to make this a “sweetheart” of a dessert. To make the strawberry hearts, cut a notch into the top of the berry before slicing. Like this:
You can substitute frozen strawberries. They just won’t have the heart. (pun intended!) I do not add sugar to the berries to keep the calorie and carb count lower. If berries are on the tart side, though, you might want to consider adding a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the sliced berries while waiting for the pastries to bake and cool. Using two layers of pudding mix helps to hold the pastry and strawberries together. I use chocolate discs for drizzling, but you can substitute about 1/3 cup of semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. This was the first time I drizzled chocolate — move very quickly to keep lines thin and straight! Otherwise you’ll end up with a squiggle like these!
Your sweetheart will think you spent hours on this spectacular treat!
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry
- 1 package instant cheesecake sugar free instant pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping
- 1 ½ cups sliced strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 12 – 24 chocolate candy discs
- Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature until easy to handle (about 40 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheet lightly or line with parchment paper.
- Unfold pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Cut along fold lines to make three separate pieces; then cut each third into sixths.
- Place the pieces on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool.
- While pastries are baking, mix pudding and 1 cup of milk in large bowl according to package directions. Gently stir in whipped topping. Refrigerate until pastries are cool.
- If using fresh berries, wash stem and slice. To make heart shapes, cut notch across the top of the berry before slicing.
- Split cooled pastries in half, working gently with sharp knife.
- Spread layer of pudding mixture on bottom half of pastry, add a layer of strawberry slices. Add another layer of pudding mixture and top with other half of pastry.
- Repeat until all pastries are filled.
- Spoon a bit of pudding mixture on top of filled pastry and add one or two strawberry slices.
- Place 12 chocolate discs in disposable decorating bag or corner of zipper sandwich bag. Microwave in 30 second bursts until chocolate is melted. Snip off point of decorating bag or corner of zipper sandwich bag. Drizzle chocolate quickly over the completed pastries. Repeat with remaining 12 discs if needed.
- Refrigerate until serving up to 3 hours.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!!
Subscribe: email on the sidebar or follow on Facebook / RSS feed / bloglovin’ / twitter and check out my pinterest boards. Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Linking up to these awesome parties here and Sundae Scoop, Linky Party Sunday, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Sunday’s Best Party, Creative Blogger’s Party and Hop, Sunday Showcase, Mix It Up Monday,.Manic Monday, .Make it Great, , Masterpiece Monday , Market Yourself Monday,. Made By You Monday , Motivate Me Monday / Making It Pretty / More The Merrier, In and Out of the Kitchen, Inspire Me Monday,. . Tutorials and Tips , Tasty Tuesday , Titus 2 Tuesday, Tuesdays Treasures , Gathering Spot, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Totally Tasty Tuesday , Tuesday Talent Show, Tea Time Tuesday, Lil Luna, Cowgirl Up, Wow Me Wednesday. . . Cast Party Wednesday, Anything Goes, Wow Me Wednesday, The Creative Spark, Whatever Goes, Show and Share, We Did It!, , 36th Avenue, . Centerpiece Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday , Show Off Your Stuff, Hookin’ Up, , Share Your Creation, Chic and Crafty, Showcase Your Talent, Catch a Glimpse , Crafty Blog Stalker , Pin Inspiration Thursday, Kitchen Fun, . . . What’s Shakin .Foodie Friends Friday, Flaunt It Friday, Inspiration Friday , Fridays Unfolded, Delicately Constructed , Simply Link Party, Foodie Friday, Weekend Wrap Up , Whatcha Got Weekend , The Grant Life , Shine on Fridays, Create and Inspire, Anything Goes. Simple and Sweet Fridays, Show and Tell Friday,Be Inspired Friday, Thrifty Things Friday . . What’s Shakin . Foodie Friends Friday, Totally Overflowing, Strut Your Stuff Saturday , Serenity Saturday, Check Me Out, Saturday Night Special, Saturday Seven, Show and Tell Saturday, Plus these parties: Seasonal Sundays Masterpiece Monday, A Stroll Through Life,Tweak It Tuesday, Centerpiece Wednesday, Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday, , Share Your Cup Thursday, , Open House Thursday, Let’s Dish, Friends Sharing Tea, Lovely Crafty Weekend Frugalicious Friday, Simple and Sweet Fridays, Thrifty Things Friday, Show and Tell Friday, Be Inspired Friday, Feathered Nest Friday/ Project Inspire(d)