Sometimes just a little sweet will make the day so much better. I try not to have temptation setting around because – well, it’s just too tempting! If a whole cake is in the kitchen, it is “evened out” for breakfast, just a little piece for lunch and a small piece for afternoon tea, then a dinner sized piece in the evening. But we are well disciplined and never have a piece after dinner. 🙂 That’s a lot of carb, calories and sweet stuff in a day. One sweet serving is just perfect. Especially if it is divided between two people.
I’ve been experimenting with mug recipes for that sweet craving. This is one of our favorites. The yogurt replaces egg. I used low carb yogurt because that’s what I usually have on hand, but Greek yogurt or any other plain or vanilla yogurt would work. If you keep your butter on the counter, you are good to go. If you refrigerate butter, you’ll need to soften it for 5-10 seconds in the microwave so it will mix evenly in the dough. Be careful not to overcook the coffee cake as it will quickly become dry. Eat while warm for best results. I won’t tell you that this is better than your favorite baked coffee cake recipe – but it will tide you over a sweet craving very nicely and it’s pretty darn good on its own merits.
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons quick oatmeal
- 1 scant tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Place 1 tablespoon of room temperature butter in mug. If cold, place in microwave for about 10 seconds. Do not melt.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add yogurt and dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Mixture should be thick. Smooth across the bottom of the mug.
- In small bowl, combine streusel topping ingredients using a fork until well mixed. Sprinkle on top of coffee cake in mug.
- Cook at full power in microwave for 1 minute. Top should be shiny, look slightly underdone and firm to touch. If additional cooking time is needed, do only 10 seconds at a time to avoid overcooking.
- Eat while warm!!!!
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Follow: Facebook / RSS feed / bloglovin’ / twitter and pinterest. Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated