Sister Kay introduced the family to Overnight Coffee Cake at a family reunion two or three years ago. Crusty cinnamon sugar atop a light sweet dough – sooo good. She shared the recipe which is still in my to do file. This weekend we were at sister Vee’s home and were awakened with the wonderful aroma of baking bread and cinnamon.
Vee graciously allowed me to take a picture of the coffee cake to share with you. Well, actually I said good morning, saw the pan setting on the table, grabbed a plate from the cupboard, my camera from the bedroom and went out to the front porch to take a picture. Wheels and Bytes are used to having perfectly good food snatched right out from in front of them for a photo session. Apparently that’s not the norm in every family! But they just laughed at me and gave me a place at the table anyway.
- 3 eggs
- 1 package yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 4 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Proof yeast by adding package of yeast to the warm water (NOT hot) and letting set ten minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients, then cut in shortening.!
- Add eggs, milk and yeast mixture to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Dough will be very thick.
- Cover tightly and place in refrigerator to rise overnight.
- In the morning, grease 9x15" pan (jelly roll pan) and spread dough evenly over pan.
- Melt butter and drizzle over dough.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle evenly over butter topped dough. If more sugar is desired, add ¼ cup brown sugar.
- Cover and let set at room temperature for twenty minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar glaze, if desired.
- Serve hot.
Welcome to A Pinch of Joy! I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here