Oh yes, I am still a mustard wimp. And yes, Ham and Orzo Salad has a mustard dressing. Buuuuut it’s mellow and just right, after the salad sits for half an hour or so -so results are worth it! Of course, if you are a mustard aficiando you can always add a squirt or two extra mustard to your serving 🙂
I just met orzo pasta last winter – sheltered life, I know – and I loved it in Chicken and Orzo Skillet. When I was looking for a recipe to use the ham I had in the refrigerator, the orzo won out over the mustard. I am so glad!! Cook the orzo according to package directions. It should be firm, but not crunchy, when you bite it (al dente). Generally that takes about 11 minutes after the water returns to boil. I did not have red onion so I used the Vidalia onion I had on hand. The red onion would add a nice bit of color, though, and also has a milder, sweet flavor similar to the Vidalia. I didn’t have chives, either, but if I did — I would use them as a garnish sprinkled across the top of the salad.
- ⅔ cup uncooked orzo
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Cook orzo al dente according to directions on package. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Dice ham and prepare vegetables while pasta is cooking.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, Dijon and yellow mustard, sugar black pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Mix pasta, ham, onion, green pepper and tomatoes in large bowl. Pour mustard dressing over top and toss together.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing! Subscribe by email on the sidebar or follow on Facebook, bloglovin’ twitter or pinterest If you found this helpful or inspiring please share below! I’d love to have you along on this journey!