This hearty Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is like a warm hug by the fire on a cold day. Loaded with potatoes, veggies and ham — pure comfort food. It’s also quick and easy to prepare and is ready to eat in about half an hour.
I buy ham after major holidays at a reduced price just for delicious treats like this throughout the year. I slice, dice and cube chunks of the ham and freeze them in quart sized zipper bags in 2 cup portions. It only takes a quick trip to the freezer when the mood strikes for a super hearty – omlet, casserole or whatever. An unexpected early – early – fall snow was the inspiration for this wonderful soup. Thaw the ham before cooking, either by setting it in the refrigerator overnight, putting it in a pan of hot water for a couple of hours, or a 1-2 minutes in the microwave.
This soup is pretty straightforward to make. I put the broth on to heat and start chopping vegetables. I add each vegetable as I finish cutting and move on to the next. Dice the potatoes in pieces no bigger than half an inch cubed. I ran out of onions earlier in the week and was waiting for the farmer’s market, so I substituted an equivalent amount of dried onion from the pantry seasoning collection. Use diced ham – about a quarter inch cubed- to make it easier to eat. The corn makes this soup unique. You can buy it in cans about1 cup measure, or scoop out a cup from a package of frozen corn. Use coarse shredded sharp cheddar cheese for a full taste. Serve with extra cheese shreds on top. Sprinkle on a bit of paprika or ground pepper or scatter finely chopped chives over the top for extra color.
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup sliced carrot
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup corn
- Combine potatoes, chicken broth, carrot and onion, in Dutch oven or small stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in 10 inch skillet, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir thickened mixture into potatoes and chicken broth, stirring until well mixed and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add ham and corn. Heat through. Serve immediately.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the sharing buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here