I’ve wanted to make Toad in the Hole ever since I read a British children’s book that referred to it – maybe at age 11 or 12. The name fascinates me! Recently I saw a grilled cheese sandwich topped with Toad in the Hole. What could be better than that? One more check mark on the bucket list!!
Toad in the Hole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Fun and delicious!
Author: A Pinch of Joy by Charlene Vance
Recipe type: Sandwich
For each sandwich:
- 2 slices sour dough bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 2 cooked bacon strips
- Cook bacon slices in small skillet over medium heat. While cooking, follow steps below.
- Using small round cookie cutter (or upside down small glass) cut out the center of one slice of bread.
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each of the bread slices.
- Mayonnaise side down, toast the slice with the hole in it over medium heat. Flip slice and break egg into the center.
- Place remaining slice, mayonnaise side down in skillet. Top with cheese.
- Cover and cook until egg white is set. Yolk will be soft set. If necessary, flip slice with egg to finish cooking.
- To assemble sandwich, the solid slice with cheese will become the bottom. Add cooked bacon, if desired. Place slice with cooked egg on top.
Nutritional value will depend on brand of bread. Use nutritional values on package.
Welcome to A Pinch of Joy! I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here