I’ve wanted to make Toad in the Hole ever since I read a British children’s book that referred to it – maybe at age 11 or 12. The name fascinates me! Recently I saw a grilled cheese sandwich topped with Toad in the Hole. What could be better than that? One more check mark on the bucket list!!
- 2 slices sour dough bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 2 cooked bacon strips
- Cook bacon slices in small skillet over medium heat. While cooking, follow steps below.
- Using small round cookie cutter (or upside down small glass) cut out the center of one slice of bread.
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each of the bread slices.
- Mayonnaise side down, toast the slice with the hole in it over medium heat. Flip slice and break egg into the center.
- Place remaining slice, mayonnaise side down in skillet. Top with cheese.
- Cover and cook until egg white is set. Yolk will be soft set. If necessary, flip slice with egg to finish cooking.
- To assemble sandwich, the solid slice with cheese will become the bottom. Add cooked bacon, if desired. Place slice with cooked egg on top.
Welcome to A Pinch of Joy! I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here