Colorful and delicious Cranberry Pear Sauce will be a hit this holiday season! It is super quick and easy to make with no refined sugar. Its sweetness comes naturally from ripe pears and a touch of real maple syrup. It is a superb accompaniment to turkey and other poultry as well, as pork tenderloin or pork roast. Once you try this recipe, you’ll never look at store-bought cranberry sauce the same.
What kind of pear to use? Bartletts hold their flavor but break down and become “saucy” when heated so they are a good choice for this recipe. They have a true “pear shape” with a large, rounded bottom half that tapers to a smaller curved neck with slender stem. Bartletts come in two colors, red and yellow, that are unique in the pear world in that they darken as they ripen. Bartletts are very plentiful in the fall so you can find them easily. Bosc and Anjou are two other varieties of pear that are good for cooking, but they are more firm. Good if you want a slightly chunky sauce.
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries
- 2 medium ripe pears, peeled and diced
- 2 t. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 T. fresh rosemary leaves, finely diced
- 3 T. real maple syrup
- ¾ c. water
- Sea salt, to taste
- Add cranberries, pear, ginger, rosemary leaves, maple syrup, and water to medium saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture starts to boil and the cranberries burst open, approximately 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Stir while cooking, mashing the cranberries and pears with a wooden spoon. Season with a pinch of sea salt and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool for 15-20 minutes before checking the consistency. Add a bit of water if sauce is too thick. Taste and add more maple syrup for a sweeter sauce, if desired.
- Optional: For a smoother sauce, blend half of the cranberry mixture in food processor or blender until smooth. Stir puree back into the remaining sauce before serving.
- Serve immediately or chill before serving.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here