Sweet potato casserole is good anytime of year . Dressed up, it’s the perfect accompaniment to any holiday meal. This sweet potato recipe has no marshmallows. Just a crunchy Struesel topping to contrast with the deep sweet potato flavor! No sweet, sticky marshmallows fans in our house 🙂
Cook and mash the sweet potatoes before measuring. If you are in a hurry (or can’t get fresh sweet potatoes, as they are not always available), use a 40 ounce can and drain before mashing. If you use yams, remember they are a bit sweeter than sweet potatoes so you might want to reduce the sugar a bit. You can add coconut to the topping of this traditional dish. I usually don’t, but when I made this I had a bit of coconut hanging out and lonely in the pantry. So I added it. Baking time will vary a bit depending on the size and depth of your casserole pan. I use a 9×13 glass baking dish because it makes serving easier for pot lucks, but a casserole pan is nicer looking for family style! A light sprinkle of nutmeg across the top before sliding into the oven adds a bit of color and notches up the flavor a bit – optional. This can be made ahead and refrigerated for a day before baking. It also reheats well – or you may even like it cold!
Looking for something a little less sweet? Check this recipe for Holiday Sweet Potatoes.
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup coconut -- optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the ingredients for the casserole.
- Spray a 9x13 glass pan (or large casserole dish) with cooking spray and pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan.
- Mix the brown sugar and flour in a small bowl, then cut the butter into the mixture until small crumbs are formed. Stir in pecans and sprinkle the topping evenly across the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until table knife inserted into middle comes out clean.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the sharing buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here