OMGG. Oh my, great goodness! This refrigerated Pina Colada dessert is sooo good. It’s made with cream of coconut for extra richness and flavor – just like the pina colada. You’ll find cream of coconut with the drink mixes. It’s an investment ingredient because it is enough to make another batch later. One can cream of coconut will make one dessert and 2 pina coladas to drink (the recipe is on the back). Or two desserts. Since I was serving luncheon for a group I made two desserts. 🙂
Assembly is quick and easy. Drain the maraschino cherries first and let them dry, then pat them with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture. This keeps the juice from turning the dessert pink. Of course, if you want it pink in a tie dye sort of way. . . . . don’t worry about this step. The cookie crumbs won’t stick together with the butter, but make an even layer across the bottom. They will absorb moisture from the filling and make a light, firm crust for the dessert. A 9×13 inch pan will yield 12 to 15 servings depending on size. Super smooth, super good!
- 60 Vanilla wafers, crushed (about 2⅓ cups whole cookies)
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup cream of coconut
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- 15 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained and diced
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Drain juice from cherries and spread out on paper towel to dry until needed later.
- Place wafers in sturdy gallon zipper bag and smash to crumbs. Pour into medium mixing bowl.
- Melt butter and add to wafer crumbs. Mix well and then pat into bottom of 9x13 pan
- Beat together cream cheese and cream of coconut until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Dice cherries, pat with paper towel to absorb any excess moisture.
- Add pineapple and cherries and fold into mixture.
- Spoon evenly over cookie crust and spread carefully.
- Top with coconut and refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing!
Subscribe by email on the sidebar or follow on Facebook, RSS feed, bloglovin’ twitter and check out my pinterest boards. If you found this helpful or inspiring please share below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Linking up to these awesome parties here a