Cherry Almond Chews topped with bright red cherries are festive chewy cookies. They are the perfect choice for a cookie exchange – pretty, chewy and won’t fall apart with handling. They also freeze well so you can make them ahead of time. Bonus! Resist the urge to make these cookies bigger than a teaspoonful. Keeping them small allows the cherry to be the star it deserves. Cutting the maraschino cherries in half is the most time consuming part of this recipe – put a whole cherry on top and solve that problem! However you choose, just relax and enjoy the whole process – these cookies are worth it!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups flaked coconut
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped roasted almonds
- 1 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coarsely chop almonds and set aside. Place maraschino cherries in colander to drain.
- Cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and extract, beat well.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in coconut and nuts by hand.
- Spacing 2 inches apart, drop cookie dough by rounded TEASPOONSFUL onto lightly greased baking pan. Place a cherry half in the center of each unbaked cookie.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
12 Day of Christmas Cookies: Fruitcake cookies Almond Coconut Crunch Cookies Pineapple Walnut Cookies Maple Caramel Swirl Cookies Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprints Cherry Almond Chews Polka Dot Macaroons Red Velvet Cookies with white chocolate and walnuts Butterscotch Pecan Softies – no bake Toffee Crisps Crescent Mini Chip Cookies Minty Christmas Cookies
12 Days of Christmas candy and no-bake recipes: Christmas Wreath Potato Chip Clusters Cherry Mash Bars Pistachio Fudge Cinnamon Swirl Cream Cheese Mints Classic Oreo Truffles Cranberry Pistachio Chocolate Bark Ritz Turtles Gooey Golden Chex Mix Fabulous Fudge No-Bake Chocolate Cookies
Gifts in a Jar and free printables: Savory Chicken Noodle Soup Mix Hot Chocolate Mix Chocolate Andes Mint Cookies Apple Butter Crumb Cake Mix Potato Soup Mix Hot Chocolate Mix Toffee Blondies Mix Chocolate Andes Mint Cookie Mix Chai Tea Mix Chocolate Chip Snickerdoole Pancake Mix
no bake and no stress treats in small batches. For when you want to have a variety of treats without a lot of leftovers.
- Chocolate Peppermint Grahams
- Grinch Kabobs
- Butterscotch Pecan Softies
- Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Bars
- Grinch Kabobs
A Dozen Awesome Appetizer and Delicious Dips from a Pinch of Joy
Super Delicious Big Batch Cookies A unique, crispy shortbread type cookie textured with oatmeal, coconut and chocolate chips.
Macaroons and Chocolate — Chewy Coconut macaroons dipped in smooth chocolate
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars — tastes just like the peanut butter cups in the bright orange wrapper
Welcome to A Pinch of Joy! I’m so glad you stopped by today! Follow A Pinch of Joy using the icons on the teal bar at the top of the page so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!! Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!
Shared with these awesome link parties here
Carole from Carole's Chatter says
Oooh I do hope you’ll swing by to Food on Friday to add this to Christmas Favourites! Cheers from Carole from Carole’s Chatter
Thanks for the invitation — heading over!