Cherry Almond Chews topped with bright red cherries are festive chewy cookies. They are the perfect choice for a cookie exchange – pretty, chewy and won’t fall apart with handling. They also freeze well so you can make them ahead of time. Bonus! Resist the urge to make these cookies bigger than a teaspoonful. Keeping them small allows the cherry to be the star it deserves. Cutting the maraschino cherries in half is the most time consuming part of this recipe – put a whole cherry on top and solve that problem! However you choose, just relax and enjoy the whole process – these cookies are worth it!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups flaked coconut
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped roasted almonds
- 1 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coarsely chop almonds and set aside. Place maraschino cherries in colander to drain.
- Cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and extract, beat well.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in coconut and nuts by hand.
- Spacing 2 inches apart, drop cookie dough by rounded TEASPOONSFUL onto lightly greased baking pan. Place a cherry half in the center of each unbaked cookie.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
A dozen great cookie recipes —
1. Fruitcake cookies
2. Almond Coconut Crunch Cookies
3. Pineapple Walnut Cookies
4. Maple Caramel Swirl Cookies
5. Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprints
6. Cherry Almond Chews
7. Polka Dot Macaroons
8. Red Velvet Cookies with white chocolate and walnuts
9. Butterscotch Pecan Softies – no bake
11. Crescent Mini Chip Cookies
12. Minty Christmas Cookies
Super Delicious Big Batch Cookies A unique, crispy shortbread type cookie textured with oatmeal, coconut and chocolate chips.
Macaroons and Chocolate — Chewy Coconut macaroons dipped in smooth chocolate
THE Best Easy Gift Fudge — It only takes 5 minutes to stir and slice this creamy rich fudge (plus a couple hours in the fridge)
No Bake Chocolate Gems – a chocolatey, chewy sweet treat that is so easy to make anytime
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars — tastes just like the peanut butter cups in the bright orange wrapper
For more sweet recipes check the A Pinch of Joy Desserts and Sweets gallery.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!!
Subscribe: email on the sidebar or follow on Facebook / RSS feed / bloglovin’ / twitter and check out my pinterest boards. Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!