Chocolate and peppermint – the flavor combination is perfect! The red and white stripe lends a bright note for both Christmas and Valentine’s Day! Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprints lend themselves to a variety of “fancies”. A hardworking, versatile cookie, some might say. Others just say “YUM!”
I omitted rolling the cookies in sugar when I made this batch to save a few carbs. You could substitute powdered sugar for the ½ cup sugar for a frosted look. Or use ½ cup sanding sugar with its larger granules for a festive look. Or small sprinkles for a colorful look. This is a good recipe to make with young helpers. They can unwrap kisses, roll the cookie dough into balls and then in the sugar. It’s a fun cookie to make and fun to eat. This visitor would certainly agree with the last part of that sentence!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 14 ounce bag Peppermint Kisses
- ½ cup sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla.
- Mix together flour, cocoa and salt in small bowl, then add gradually to sugar/butter mixture. Mix until combined.
- If dough is sticky, refrigerate for 20 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- Place ½ cup sugar in small bowl.
- Roll heaping teaspoons of dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Roll each ball in the sugar and place about an inch apart on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes, remove from oven then press peppermint kiss into each cookie.
- Return to oven for 1-2 minutes until cookie is set and kiss slightly melted.
- Let cookies stand on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before removing to rack to cool thoroughly.
A dozen great cookie recipes
1. Fruitcake cookies
2. Almond Coconut Crunch Cookies
3. Pineapple Walnut Cookies
4. Maple Caramel Swirl Cookies
5. Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprints
6. Cherry Almond Chews
7. Polka Dot Macaroons
8. Red Velvet Cookies with white chocolate and walnuts
9. Butterscotch Pecan Softies – no bake
10. Toffee Crisps
11. Crescent Mini Chip Cookies
12. Minty Christmas Cookies
Super Delicious Big Batch Cookies A unique, crispy shortbread type cookie textured with oatmeal, coconut and chocolate chips.
Macaroons and Chocolate — Chewy Coconut macaroons dipped in smooth chocolate
THE Best Easy Gift Fudge — It only takes 5 minutes to stir and slice this creamy rich fudge (plus a couple hours in the fridge)
No Bake Chocolate Gems – a chocolatey, chewy sweet treat that is so easy to make anytime
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars — tastes just like the peanut butter cups in the bright orange wrapper
For more sweet recipes check the A Pinch of Joy Desserts and Sweets gallery.
I’m so glad you stopped by today! Be sure to follow A Pinch of Joy so you don’t miss a thing! I’d love to have your company on this venture!!
Subscribe: email on the sidebar or follow on Facebook / RSS feed / bloglovin’ / twitter and check out my pinterest boards. Share: if you found this helpful or inspiring please click one of the buttons below! Your support of A Pinch of Joy is appreciated!